Discover the beautiful Old town and visit the famed Marco Polo Museum!
xplore the sheer majesty of this historical island on a private tour taking in the very best highlights. On this memorable trip you’ll discover the beautiful Old town, visit the famed Marco Polo Museum and enjoy the full range of cultural and gastronomic delights this island has to offer.
Commonly referred to as a “miniature Croatia”, it’s been said that Korcula encompasses the very best this country has to offer. From its glorious vineyards, plentiful olive groves and sleepy hamlets, to its dense woodland, sandy beaches and peaceful coves, this is undoubtedly one of the Adriatic’s most stunning destinations.
The island of Korcula is particularly renowned for its history, with a turbulent past stretching back over 2000 years. A former Greek colony, the island fought for centuries to resist various sieges. It has survived remarkably intact and its well-preserved buildings provide a fascinating living monument. The local population also takes great pride in their island’s heritage and culture. You’ll find that age-old traditions such as the Moreška sword dance are still upheld in the numerous religious and folk festivities that adorn the calendar.
Korcula is also renowned for its wines, with one of Croatia’s best wines being produced from the pošip grapes that grow on the island. Around Lumbarda – where our villa is located – the grk grape is also used to produce a top quality dry white wine. This excursion includes a trip to two of the island’s most renowned wineries, along with plenty of tastings.
Korcula’s most popular attraction is its Old town, often referred to as the “Little Dubrovnik” owing to its gleaming orange rooftops, majestic stone walls and round defense towers. The town is compact but contains many beautifully preserved squares, churches and palaces which date from the early 13th century. One of Korcula’s main claims to fame is as the birthplace of the intrepid explorer Marco Polo, and you’ll have the chance to view the house where he’s said to have resided and to learn more about his life and travels in the dedicated museum.
10.15.-11.15 – Tour of Korcula old town with your official tour guide, visit of Marco Polo House, St Marco Cathedral and Museum of Icons
11.15.- 12.15 – Visit of Biggest settlement on island a Village Blato and Etno Museum Barilo.
12.15.- 12.45 – Visit of Winery Toretta in Smokvica village and wine tasting
12.45.- 13.15 – Visit of Pupnatska luka Bay for picture taking and swimming*
13.15.- 14.30 – Visit of Lumbarda Village and Agroturisam Bire with wine tasting
14.45 – Transfer back to Hotels
*Seasonal / swimming season is from May -September/
This is a half-day tour in our premium Mercedes-Benz van which will deliver you to the Old town, one of the best preserved medieval cities in the country, as well as on a visit to two traditional wineries along with wine tasting. You’ll be accompanied by a qualified tour guide who will provide insider knowledge on the island’s captivating history and charming landscapes.
Great day out to see Korcula countryside Zoran and his team presented a great excursion into the Korcula country side.The team were fantastic,friendly,informative and great to get there perspective on Korcula life and history.The freshly caught sea bass for lunch was a sensational.Highly recommended
Great service and a range of opportunities We did a number of boat tours with Captain Zoran and his team from Korcula Adventures and can highly recommend both the tours themselves and the staff. We went to Hvar, to Mjet and on a tour around Korcula itself and enjoyed every single one of them.
Korcula Island tour & Marco Polo Museum Tour Options
- Climbing up to the entrance of the Old town and admiring the stone obelisks that were built as a tribute to the powerful prince’s that once ruled over this magnificent city.
- Touring the massive fortress walls and defense towers, reminiscent of those in Dubrovnik.
- Marveling at the Gothic and Renaissance-style St. Mark’s Cathedral, an architectural masterpiece situated in the heart of the Old town. Constructed out of the island’s adamant stone, it is a long-standing testimony to the skill and dedication of the local masons who built it. Inside, you’ll have the chance to explore the impressive range of artifacts that date from the Greek and Roman period, including up to more recent history.
- Touring the Museum of Icons, which is home to a unique collection of Byzantine artifacts. Many of these were brought to Korcula from all over the world by sailors on their travels during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
- Visiting the esteemed Marco Polo museum. Marco Polo is claimed to have been born on Korcula and you can learn more about his epic travels along the Silk Road at this fascinating museum.
Korcula hotels guests: Pick up at Your Hotel Reception or at Korčula town East pier / by the KONZUM -grocery shop and korcula adventures agency/
Orebić and half island Pelješac guests: pick up by the Grand Hotel Aminess Azur Pier/jetty by the seaside
Lumbarda Hotels guests: Pick up by the Lumbarda center Tourist board office
Note: The price of this excursion is included for those guests on all of our Signature Tailor made Holiday Packages.. The price below stands for those who would like to book this tour independently of our Villas packages.